What are the requirements for me to register as a BAS Agent?
Navigating the BAS Agent registration requirements can be confusing, especially the primary qualification criteria, since the TPB website does not specify exactly which qualification comes under the Certificate IV in Financial Services in bookkeeping or accounting.
Which qualifications are accepted?
According to the TPB website, an applicant must hold at least:
- Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping;
- Certificate IV in Accounting; Visit website for more details on this course
- Certificate IV in Bookkeeping.
- Diploma of Accounting – Visit website for detail about enrolling.
Higher qualifications are also accepted – meaning if you hold a Diploma of Accounting, a Bachelor of Accounting or a Master of Accounting, it will satisfy the primary qualification requirement.
BAS Agent Registration Requirements
To register as a BAS Agent as an individual, you must satisfy a certain set of criteria, not just holding the accounting and bookkeeping certificate:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must be a fit and proper person – this takes into account:
- whether you are of good fame, integrity and character;
- whether you have been convicted of an offence involving fraud or dishonesty;
- whether you have been penalised for being a promoter of a tax exploitation scheme;
- whether you have been penalised for implementing a scheme that has been promoted on the basis of conformity with a product ruling in a way that is materially different from that described in the product ruling;
- whether you are an undischarged bankrupt; and
- whether you have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment, or served a term of imprisonment in whole or in part.
Click here to find out more about this requirement and the definitions that apply.
- You must satisfy the qualification and experience requirements – you must have:
- successfully completed a Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping (or one of its superseded qualifications or higher) from a registered training organization or an equivalent institution;
- must have completed a board-approved course in basic GST/BAS taxation principles (which may be included in the Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping); and
- completed 1,400 hours of relevant work experience in the past 4-years.
- You must maintain, or will be able to maintain, professional indemnity insurance cover that meets the TPB’s requirements.
- You must complete an online application and provide the required supporting documents.
What happens after I submit my application with the TPB?
After you have submitted your application, the TPB will respond with a decision to either grant or reject your application for registration. You will usually hear from them within 30-days of submitting your application.
If your application is approved, details of your registration will be recorded and published on the TPB register, you must inform the TPB of your professional indemnity insurance details within 14-days of approval, and the Australian Taxation Office will be notified that your registration has been approved.
Alternatively, if your application is rejected, you will be advised of the reasons and of your appeal rights; and the ATO will be notified of the TPB’s decision to reject your registration.
Important: This information is current as at the 19th of September 2018 and as available on the TPB website.